Kale and Brussels Sprout Salad
This recipe stopped me in my tracks as I flipped through the November 2011 issue of Bon Appetit. One read through the ingredient list and I knew this was going to be incorporated into our Thanksgiving weekend meal plan. Finely shredded kale and Brussels sprouts with a lemony vinaigrette sounded like heaven in a bowl. I made this salad three times in the past week to rave reviews from family and friends.
The recipe is perfect as published, I’ve modified it below to match what is available from my local grocer and to pan-roast the nuts without extra oil.
Kale and Brussels Sprout Salad (raw)
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt plus more for seasoning
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large bunch of Tuscan kale (about 3/4 lb. total), center stem discarded, leaves thinly sliced
- 16 ounces brussels sprouts, trimmed, finely grated or shredded with a knife
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup almonds with skins, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup finely grated Pecorino
Combine lemon juice, Dijon mustard, shallot, garlic, 1/2 tsp. salt, and a pinch of pepper in a small blender. Pulse to blend; set aside.
Mix thinly sliced kale and shredded brussels sprouts in a large bowl.
Add almonds to skillet, heat to medium-high heat and stir/toss frequently until golden brown in spots, about 5 minutes. Transfer nuts to a paper towel-lined plate to cool. Sprinkle almonds lightly with salt.
Add olive oil to lemon-juice mixture and pulse to incorporate. Season dressing to taste with salt and pepper.
Bon Appetit Notes: DO AHEAD Dressing, kale mixture, and toasted almonds can be prepared 8 hours ahead. Cover dressing and kale mixture separately and chill. Cover almonds and let stand at room temperature.
Add dressing and cheese to kale mixture; toss to coat. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Garnish with almonds.
Recipe adapted from Bon Appetit (November 2011).Print This Post